Friday, 31 January 2014

Chinese New Year Collaboration: Dragon


Hello everyone! :) First of all, Happy Chinese New Year! With today's date, the horse relieves the snake for the whole next year. The wonderful Gin from pandagin.blogspot.com organized a superb beauty blogger collaboration to start off the new year in the best way possible!
Everyone who joined had to translate one of the zodiac signs into either a make-up look, an outfit or a nailart design. :) I was lucky enough to snatch the Dragon off all the other lovely participants. :)

The Dragon

So, when I researched on the Dragon, I realized that its associated sun sign is actually the Aries, which happens to be my actual Zodiac. This means in some way, that the Dragon shares a lot of traits with the Aries.

The Dragon is one of the most powerful and lucky Signs of the Chinese Zodiac. Its warm heart makes the Dragon's brash, fiery energy far more palatable. This is a giving, intelligent and tenacious Sign that knows exactly what it wants and is determined to get it. Dragons possess a certain natural, charming charisma that ensures they can always influence their peers and often find themselves the center of attention in social situations. This Sign is truly blessed, too; Dragons are considered to be very lucky in love! The Dragon's friends are always keen to hear what this firebrand has to say and when it comes to dispensing advice, the Dragon has the floor. (...)
Source: http://www.astrology.com/chinese-sign-dragon/2-d-d-49582

My Look

I decided to go for the make-up look myself, even though I never actually attempted to create anything like this before, but I think it worked out pretty nicely. :)







Tutorial


(Sleek Storm 578 palette, essence superfine eyeliner, Manhattan extreme last lipliner 44N, Catrice Absolute Eye Colour 410, Innisfree Color Glow #4, L'Oreal Fake Lash Extension Mascara, Lioele Triple The Solution BB Cream) 


(My palette is really old. :( I'll be referring to the eyeshadows by their numbers in the tutorial) 

Alternatively to 1: nude eyeshadow as primer
Alternatively to 2: white shimmery eyeshadow as highlighter
Alternatively to 3: a different warm gold eyeshadow


Step 1: Apply foundation & a nude eyeshadow to start this look off.


Step 2: Apply a grey eyeshadow (Catrice Absolute Eye Colour 410) halfway across your eyelids. Try to blend it out as you go, you don't want it to be too dark.


Step 3: Take eyeshadow #3 and apply it to the outer lid, creating a gradient effect with the grey eyeshadow. 


Step4: Apply a little bit of #2 in the corners of your eyes to make them appear larger.


Step 5: Take a red eyeliner and draw a line halfway across your lid. I used a lipliner for this alternatively because I could not find a red eyeliner anywhere. 


Step 6: Create a winged eyeliner using the eyeliner of your preference. Make sure the two lines blend into eachother nicely. 


Step 7: Take the red eyeliner again and draw a slim line just below the wing you just created.


Step 8: Now, apply mascara. Fake lashes are optional, I did not use any in this look. :)


Step 9: Apply some red lipstick of your choice. Be careful to match it with the colour of your eyeliner! 


DONE! :D


Please check out the other lovely participant's posts: 

Phailee - Rat
Misa - Ox
Louise - Tiger
Gin - Rabbit
Terri - Snake
Rebecca - Horse
Ashley - Sheep
Kathy - Monkey
GaEul - Rooster
Lala - Dog
Yomi - Pig



I am so grateful that I was given the chance to participate in this awesome collab. :) Putting the look together was so much fun and I would love to do it again sometimes. I hope you enjoyed the post as much as I did writing it! 

Thank you for reading and Happy Chinese New Year! 

- Elina 


14 comments:

  1. Ughhh, I'm still absolutely loving that lipliner; so smart, using it as an eyeliner! *A* I have to invest in some liners of different colors~
    Thank you so much for joinning! <3 Happy Chinese New Years! ///v///

    http://pandagin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for holding this collab, Gin! I loved participating in it, and as soon as you do another one, I'll make sure to join (in case you want me to ;) )
      It is so hard to find a nice, coloured eyeliner, though. :( I wish they produced more of them. Or at least, my local drug stores don't have them.

      Delete
  2. The eyeliner is stunning! This makeup look turned out great! I love it :)

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it. :) I really enjoyed your look too!

      Delete
  3. I love that you used red to line your eyes. It looks great and is perfect for Chinese New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've always wanted to use red eyeliner but i'm always afriad it would look like my eyes were bleeding or something. this works SO well. and i think i'll try this look too! i didn't think to pair it with greys and browns like you did.
    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I know that concern! I was so insecure when doing this look for the first time because it seemed so over the top, but I am glad it turned out so well! Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. aah its so smart of you to use the lip liner on your eye. among all the zodiacs dragon i think is the best inspiration for a makeup look and you did it justice. i like how you kept thetheme goining while the make is still simple :) really good job here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that I could do the dragon justice, I was so insecure whether I would do enough or too much. But it seems like it worked out. :D Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. Uwah~ This is so pretty!! I love the way you used two different eyeliners instead of using just red~ it gives the look sort of like a 3 dimensional effect! <3 And the red really makes your look pop! :) Happy Chinese New Year!

    Love, Aimee
    chocobunnii13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Chinese New Year to you too, Aimee. :) Thank you a lot! I am glad you like it . :D

      Delete
  7. Elina you look gorgeous! I absolutely love the red liner ^^ and your makeup look overall :D thank you for the tutorial ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This means so much to me as I really enjoy watching your make up tutorials! :) Again, thank you, Misa. :D

      Delete

Hi everyone! :) Thank you for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it! I'll reply to you as soon as possible.

Blog Design By Yuniquely Sweet