Sunday, 1 June 2014

Beauty: 10 Tips for Healthy Skin

Hello, my dearest readers!  ♥


I've recently received a lot of compliments regarding my skin condition, which really flattered me a lot. I therefore decided to share some simple tips that helped me to acheive and to preserve my current skin condition.

Before I start, a little backstory about my skin:
In my teenage years, my skin was terribly uneven. I had breakouts that wouldn't go away, I had hormonal acne across my forehead, oily skin- you name it. The only concern that I was spared by was cystic acne, which I am still terribly grateful about.
I saw some dermatologists, but the harsh creams that they prescribed only made everything worse.

Nowadays, my main skin concerns are breakouts and some redness as well as clogged pores due to my haircut. I also learned to understand that  most of my issues were caused by hormones and that time was the best of all prescribed cures.

First off, I consider all of these tips common knowledge. Yet, we like to flat out ignore them at times. I hope they can help some of you to get healthier and better looking skin!



1) Remove your make-up every night.
Yes, even when it's 1am and you are coming home from a night out with your girlfriends you'll need to remove your make-up. You want to go to bed with clean skin because otherwise your make-up might rub off onto your pillowcase and stay there, which can cause even more breakouts than the make-up you left on your skin.

2) Cleanse two times a day.
I used to be very generous with this rule myself until I realize that it actually does make a difference if you cleanse in the morning, too. This rule is crucial if you leave any products on your face over the night, like face packs.

3) Use Facial Masks / Perform a Deep Cleanse at least once a week.
I do this to reduce the chance of breakouts. Besides that, most masks / packs have other beneficial effects that can help your skin to look better. (e.g.: they moisturize, reduce redness, minimize your pores...) Clay masks also soak up the excess oils on your face and help to make your skin softer and to control the sebum.
A deep cleanse once a week is especially important because it removes all dead skin cells.

4) Use the right products for your skintype.  
If you have oily skin, you probably shouldn't use that BB cream that is targeted at people with dry skin. It won't help your skin but it will most likely work against it and only make your concerns worse. Be careful when buying new make-up and skincare products and double-check their purpose.

5) Don't use too many products on your skin.
Cleanser, Toner, Emulsion, Essence, Moisturizer, Primer, Foundation, Concealer, Setting Powder. That's a lot, isn't it?
Reconsider your make-up and skincare routine and eliminate the products that you don't need. I'm sure that everyone of us has at least one product in there that is not essential. Who knows if that one product you don't actually need that much isn't the one that is causing your breakouts?
Your facial routine should be effective, not overly time consuming.

My essential steps are the following: Cleanser - Moisturizer - (Primer) - BB Cream (with SPF!) - Concealer (if needed). It is really important that you wear sunscreen on a daily basis, even when it's not especially sunny outside.



6) Avoid touching your face. 
This is probably one of the most important rules. Our hands are full of germs that we don't want to come in contact with our skin. There might be this one, really annoying spot on your forehead, but touching it will only make it worse.

7) Keep everything clean that touches your face. 
I'm talking about your make-up brushes, your phone, your glasses, your bedsheets and even your hair. There are hundreds of things that touch our face even though we generally don't realize it at first. I know it can be a hassle to wash your make-up brushes or to change your bedsheets but it really pays off. I had to realize it myself that my fringe was causing the breakouts on my forehead. :)

8) Eat Healthy and Consciously.
Sadly, the proverb "You are what you eat" applies to our skin. A diet rich in carbs and fat can be the cause of breakouts.
But it's not only about what you eat but also about how you eat: Always be conscious of the unseen residues of your lunch like oils that stay on your lips and cause breakouts around your mouth and on your chin area.

9) Drink a lot of Water.
Drinking a lot of water will help to improve your skin condition over the time. Cut down on the soft drinks and the sugary juices, it won't only help your skin but it will also make you feel better about yourself. My favourite alternative: Sparkly water with freshly pressed lemon juice. :)

10) Work out.
Your skin actually benefits a lot from physical exercise. By increasing the blood flow, exercising nourishes our skin cells and keeps them healthy. The blood flow also helps to carry away waste products from your working cells.
Besides that, it was also shown that exercising eases stress, which is usually a deciding factor in your skin's health. The lower your stress level, the better. :)


I hope that these simple tips help you to acheive healthy and happy skin! :)

- Elina

11 comments:

  1. Great tips! I've been applying these for years now and my face has improved so much! I used to have acne and just horrible skin. Luckily not anymore! ^__^

    http://nagareboshi9.blogspot.ch/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear
    Really good skin care tips!
    Thanks for sharing :)
    I just found your blog and it's great, follow you right now, hope you can follow me back :)
    xx
    http://2minutosblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so guilty about touching my face! DX it's such a bad habit for me @_@ I agree with this list! It's very much common knowledge but it's the basics that seem to be a challenge to turn into a healthy habit :(

    xoxo
    Strawberry Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, dear!
    Thank you for the follow. I'd love to return it but sadly I don't speak the language you blog in so it's impossible for me to navigate your site. I'm terribly sorry. :(
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same! D: It's the only rule I break all the time. I do it completely subconsciously and when I notice it I always regret it afterwards. :(
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an excellent blog post! I'm going to try some of these tips! Thank you :-)
    P.S. Your picture is beautiful!


    Please check out my style if you get a chance! I'd really appreciate it!


    xoxo
    Alexis
    http://thosethreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I could be of some help. :) I hope your skin gets better soon! I'm fighting breakouts too at the moment because my finals are coming closer and it's so stressful. ><
    Yes, exactly! I've seen people performing skincare routines that last half an hour or so!
    x Thank you for reading, Aimee. ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a helpful tips!
    I always touch my face but i always keep my hands clean^_^

    I dare you to take a peek to my blog!
    Adventure of P-Chaaaan!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't use too many products, I've learned that one the hard way. At one point I realized that my constant changing of my skin care routine and the fact that I used so many extras was only confusing my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Same. :( Ever since I broke out from switching around too much I've been changing the products I use one by one.
    x
    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think 6 is my biggest downfall. I'm pretty good with all the other points, but I tend to touch my face because I'm so self conscious of my spots. Even if these are pretty common knowledge, you're absolutely right - we don't do it. I'm so proud of how good I've been with taking off my makeup... I just imagine myself waking up in the morning with spots covering my face. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! :) Thank you for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it! I'll reply to you as soon as possible.

Blog Design By Yuniquely Sweet