Thursday, 31 July 2014

Review: Etude House Sweet Recipe Baby Choux Base (Mint)

If some of you remember this product my last Beautynetkorea haul, you will probably recall that my parcel arrived completely wet, which damaged the packaging of some products. For that reason, I threw the cardboard packagings away soon after receiving my items.
It's a bit of a shame since this well-known Korean base make-up from Etude House received a package redesign in 2014, which made it look so much cuter than before. I am not sure whether they changed the formulation, too, as it's my first time trying this product apart from the cushion adaption. (Read here!) This product used to come in a jar, but now that it comes in a more hygenic tube packaging, you get 10g extra!

Etude House's Sweet Recipe Baby Choux Base is a light, cream-like make-up base that softens your skin, evens out your complexion, moisturizes and fills wrinkles and fine lines on your face to help you look younger. It comes in three different shades: Mint - for reddish skin, Berry - for pale skin and Peach - for yellowish skin. The base also provides SPF33 PA ++ for a little extra sun protection and in case your foundation doesn't contain SPF.
Even though I generally have a quite pale complexion, I went for Mint in order to control my redness.

The new tube looks absolutely adorable. The gold accents and the lace detail are a really nice concept for a product that promises to give you skin as smooth as a baby's. One tube contains 35g of product and costs around 14$. The cardboard box gives a full, English ingredients list along with instructions.


Swatches
indoors - flash - natural daylight


Performance
halfway blended - completely blended

When evening out your skintone, Mint lightens up your whole complexion by roughly one shade so you have to be careful not to use too much. Otherwise, you might end up looking ghostly. It softens my skin very well, makes my pores less visible and feels very moisturizing. Due to the thick and creamy consistency, it took me a little longer to blend than my BB cream. 
I think the base works decently on its own if you are going for a no-make up look, but it shines as a primer or color corrector under your foundation. The extra bit of color correction synergizes extremely well with a medium coverage BB cream. It even makes your foundation last a little longer. The added fragrance is pleasant and reminds me a lot of soap. Back when this product still came in a jar, some people complained about the smell, but to me it smells good so they might have changed the scent, too. I think this product could also be used as a temporary whitening cream as well.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has troubles with redness!

Final Rating: 5 / 5

What's your favorite make-up base? Do you use a primer at all?

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing product, fab review :) great blog, I have followed you with Bloglovin and GFC, if you ever get a chance to check out my blog I would be delighted, thanks !

    Camille xo.

    www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this when it came in the jar (and I've tried the peach one too). I didn't like it too much though, since it made me look like a ghost and it accentuated dry spots @@.


    My favourite makeup base is probably the Hourglass mineral veil primer or the Benefit Porefessional primer.


    http://astrophoria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see! Well, I didn't have any dry spots for quite a while now so I didn't notice that but I could imagine that this could put me off as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh the packaging is so cute, lovely review!

    Emma from http://www.masqueradebelle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not too sure if it's just me >.< but your blog layout is dark grey so I can't read any words D: But after attempt, this product seems really good! I should check it out. :3 I don't normally use makeup bases, but when I do I stick with my trust Rimmel primer. ^_^

    Love, Aimee

    Please Join my Blogiversary International Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always thinking about one of the bases from EH especially since they have them as cushions now. But I never can decide which one :D apart from this I have to many other products to use :'D Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not crazy about primers but you've totally sold this to me :)

    Emma | Fluff and Fripperies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh really? I'm so sorry about that, Aimee! What browser are you using? I don't have a problem with Chrome so I was wondering if you were using a different one. I didn't change anything about my code so it seems a little strange for it to change like that all of a sudden.
    Thank you for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried all of the cushions before because I was sent a sample of each, which is why I settled for Mint. :) I found berry far too pink for me and peach didn't do much for me at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how the product helps make pores less visible and makes your skin lighter. Sounds like a good product!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've tried this product but in a diff shade! Must say it's a really good base! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I usually don't like creams which lightens one's skin shade but I'm very partial

    to etude house. Great review & would you like to follow each other on GFC

    Google+ & Bloglovin? Lemme know & keep in touch!

    X

    http://subhamrai.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never tried any Korean makeup before, but the packaging is soooo cute! It sounds like it work really well as well. I think I would also go for mint as my skin can get really red sometimes!

    The Velvet Black // UK
    Style, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh I've never tried anything like this before- or tried any asian beauty products! Sounds lovely though

    Daniella x

    http://daniella-r.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds lovely and perfect for my skin! I've never heard of the brand, I love the packaging!

    saltandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you found this product good! ^__^ I really like using tony moly latte art milk-tea morning pack. It makes my makeup lasts so long! xx

    lil-soybean.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! :) Thank you for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it! I'll reply to you as soon as possible.

Blog Design By Yuniquely Sweet