Monday, 19 January 2015

Hair: Clarifying - A Fix for Matte and Tangly Hair

Clarifying Hair How To

Have you ever been told by your hairdresser that you should switch up your shampoo and conditioner every once in a while because otherwise it stops working? If you use silicones on your hair, chances are you even found that to be true after a while. This is because certain products cause build-up on your hair if you continue to use them over a long period, especially if they contain non-water-soluble silicones that require harsh sulfates to remove them. The result? Limp, matte and tangly hair that often acts like velcro. Maybe you've even cut your hair in the past when it felt like that!


Don't worry, there is a simple fix for that: Clarifying

To clarify means to remove all the excessive silicone, oils or product build-up from your hair. It basically resets your hair if something causes trouble. It can either be done with baking soda followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse or with a clarifying shampoo that you can either get at your local drugstore, at the hairdresser's or on Amazon. I personally find a clarifying shampoo to be much more convenient as it comes pre-mixed and there is no need for an ACV rinse after shampooing. Plus, baking soda can be a little harsh to your hair if it has not been diluted properly prior to clarifying.

This is what you want to do: 
Before you step in the shower, detangle your hair completely. Then, start at the crown on your hair and apply enough shampoo to get a nice lather. I use Wella's Purifying Shampoo. Work your way down your hair until you get to your ends. The reason why you want to shampoo your ends is because there's the most build-up. Rinse your hair thoroughly. Gently pat your hair dry with a towel.

Your hair has been successfully clarified but you'll notice that it feels dry or tangly since there is no silicones that make it slippery. Here comes the final and most important part: Deep Conditioning.
Give your hair a nice, prolonged treatment with a moisturizing conditioner and leave it in for at least 30 minutes or as long as you can stand.
For this step, I'd recommend a conditioner without silicones. If you don't want to leave out the silicones, you could use a very moisturizing conditioner like Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle Moist Treatment. A more natural alternative would be to mix your favourite silicone-free conditioner with a little bit of honey and aloe vera gel (the clear kind).

If you like the results, you can repeat this as it becomes necessary. Do keep in mind, though, that clarifying shampoos are very harsh so I wouldn't recommend clarifying too often. Once a month or every two months, depending on your hair type, should be fine. If you colour your hair this might also fade the colour a little bit quicker so keep that in mind as well.

I hope you found this post helpful! If you have any questions, please leave them down below. I'll do my best to get back to you! 

19 comments:

  1. This was helpful I'm going on the hint for a clarifying shampoo, would you suggest to use it once a month or once every two months? I wash my hair almost every day and I use heat every day x

    Leannewinters.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your hair is certainly going through a lot! I would only use it every two months in your case or sooner if you notice that you need it. Also, if you can, I'd try stretching my washing routine and cut down on the heat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This clarifying shampoo sounds great. I didn't know about that...I tried using silicone free shampoos, but my hair gets too dry when using it regulary...but a clarifying shampoo used every second month sound like a great step!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Aussie's 3 minute Treatment, I am always left with hair that feels as good as when you leave the hairdressers. Life saver! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bookmarked this as I am my wits end with my awful hair, definitely a good idea, thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Aussies 3 minute treatments! you have gorgeous hair. It's such a beautiful colour. I am so tempted to go lighter in the summertime :) xxx
    Sinead | sineaddreamingagain.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair is so beautiful! Super jealous right now! I think I really need to start doing this once a month to help my hair!
    Alice xo
    www.shesthunderstorms.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. my hair is prone to being all tangled up, will have to try this out, thanksyou :)

    inspiring photos!

    www.fergzillas.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello sweetie, I want to invite you to join my giveaway, you can win a lovely necklace! :) I hope you join and I hope you win, good luck! By the way Love this post! :)

    Fashion gets Fierce Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes this post definitely was helpful! Thanks for sharing your hair tips Elina, your hair is beautiful! :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helpful post! I have super tangly hair (mostly because I don't brush it, haha). But ah! I use baking soda + a cleansing conditioner, to help with my hair and scalp stuff, but never considered a clarifying shampoo!


    Sara // dearskim.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much, Alice! I'm having a hard time babying my hair since it has been bleached multiple times so I thought I'd share what helped me to help others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Baking soda and a cleansing conditioner should be enough clarifying for your hair. :) I don't think you need an extra shampoo, your washing routine does the trick anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think curly hair is really beautiful! Have you tried daily conditioner-only-washing? It's less strenuous on the hair, helps to define curls and reduce frizz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, I meant instead of the cleansing condition. That stuff is so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. if i dont shampoo my hair is super duper greasy :( x

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! :) Thank you for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it! I'll reply to you as soon as possible.

Blog Design By Yuniquely Sweet