Monday, 16 February 2015

Beauty: Haircare Routine and Favourites

Haircare Routine and Favourites

I figured that since it has been quite a while since my last post on haircare products, I could give you a quick update on how I restructured my routine and what products I added to it. Ever since the start of 2015, I've been more conscious of what my hair needs and of the amount of silicone in the products I use, which is why I cut back drastically on not only silicones but also proteins. Both, if overused can lead to undesirable product buildup and tangly hair while they can do wonders if used sparingly. Here is what I figured out!

My routine consists of three steps. Conditioner, shampoo and another round of conditioner. I do this so my ends don't suffer from the sulfates in my shampoo and don't get overly dried out. Needless to say, I only shampoo my scalp, not my length. The second round of conditioner is for the added slip.

As first conditioner, I usually use the Coconut Conditioner by Desert Essence which is rich in moisture and doesn't contain any silicones. I use this first so my hair can absorb the moisture from the coconut oil and the sheabutter in the conditioner.
Then, I wash with Herbal Essences Clearly Naked Shine. It's a shampoo without parabens, silicones or dyes but heavy with sulfates. If your scalp can't handle this, you might want to reconsider it.
When I rinsed out all the shampoo and conditioner, I apply some of the Clearly Naked Shine Conditioner by Herbal Essences onto my length and leave it on for some minutes before rinsing it out. This conditioner contains one type of silicone (Bis-Aminopropyl Dimethicone), which can usually be washed out with any other conditioner or shampoo and doesn't cause heavy build-up.
Once a month, I use the Gliss Kur Total Repair Anti Hair Breakage Mask as a protein treatment in the place of the first C in CWC, followed by the Desert Essence Conditioner to moisturize. I only use the hair mask by Gliss Kur sparingly as it's heavy in silicones and protein.

As a leave-in, I use plain coconut oil. I add this to my lengths when my hair is still damp after washing but also to my dry hair before bedtime so my hair can soak it up over night.

If I overdid it and products start causing build-up, I clarify with my Wella Purifying Shampoo, which you can read more about in my post about clarifying.

Other than that, I frequently use dry shampoo (not pictured) to avoid over-washing my hair. I also never use any heat on my hair.

I believe that's all you need to know about how I do my hair! If you have any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. The coconut conditioner sounds lovely and I am definitely interested in reading about the clarifying shampoo now too as I am sure my hair has loads of build up D: YIKES haha I do avoid shampooing my ends though at all costs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone! :) Thank you for leaving a comment! I really appreciate it! I'll reply to you as soon as possible.

Blog Design By Yuniquely Sweet